Wednesday, August 24, 2011


So I am still up at an insanely late hour because I had some incredible urge to figure out all my computer woes. For those windows folks, please note I am a fan of the android and mac systems. I prefer an app based platform over a never ending array of menues and icons. However, I am in school which means I bought my current laptop to be lightweight, portable, and useable for school. So I got an inexpensive Acer Aspire One 10.1 inch screen netbook, a CD/DVR portable USB player, a wireless mouse and a soft zip case along with a portable spare HD for backups and storing excess media on back in May 2011 before I embarked on my cross country trip. With only 1GB of DDR3 memory, I can't expect this featherweight to compete with the heavyweights but I do expect it to run Google Earth, the basic Windows programs, Flash, Adobe products, handle a few photos and surf the web. Anything more than that requires the external HD which other than monthly backups, I haven't touched it.

Its a little screen, a lightweight laptop and came with the evil Windows 7 Starter. Had I done more research, I would have gotten the slightly larger Dell 15R with 64 bit Windows 7. However, time and budget dictated otherwise. So I am working with what I got. Last semester, I used schools computers. This semester I had my school order my books for me since they get a good price on used books. They ordered an ebook from cengage.com which proved a bit complicated. I contacted support and a resolution was reached after 3 days and much frustration. I deleted and downloaded the latest in java, adobe pagemaker, flash, and some unsealer program. After all that, I realized this ebook wasn't opening in Opera, Chrome or Mozilla. I was stuck with IE, the evil IE. So I downloaded the latest version 9 and voila. Now understand the ebook is a DRM Adobe Reader file. So its very clunky and required some extra effort to print. So now I have to unearth my printer and print out the pages I need as I go along OR hook up my old desktop computer and do this process again. Then I can look at one for the manual and do the homework on the laptop. My old computer is on XP and still functional but its a desktop, so its a power hog. It is my goal to leave as small a footprint as possible, but to also avoid paper when possible due to deforestation.  So paper or higher electric bill?  All of this after 100 to get WIFI in the house.

All of this required some action on my part with many google searches and tech forums. So I came across microsoftstore.com and ordered the student version of windows ultimate upgrade. I am currently waiting for the download to finish and can barely see straight as I this has been an ongoing process. Of course the coursework that the ebook is for is due tomorrow so I am going to be pounding the pavement tomorrow to get 3 subjects done. I have writings for 2 classes and this odd arrangement (which is odd until the old computer is brought into this century) for the computers class. This has taken some serious time.

Pictured at top is my 2 cats. As stated previously, I don't have a van at the moment, but I will have to return to AZ for school reasons, so its still a constant state of travel. If you look back to the beginning of the blog, you will see my first van, time I spent in it, then the 2nd van, and its time, the trip to AZ  and the flight back. I am taking a train in October back to Tucson, and from there its hard to say. I have a laundry list of things I would like to do but they are exactly that, like to do, at this stage. I figure 3-6 months to get things somewhat figured out. The cats are going this time as Ajah was very depressed with me gone and the kitten was grouchy. With me, they are loveable, sweet and okay with people. I want to enjoy my cello as well so that's a part of the long term program. I may opt for another "type" of cello, a battery one maybe, that isn't the same, but still allows the joy of playing.

Also, I am on the hunt for ancient Roman music and there are some collaborations, musical scores being assembled by self, and performances to come in the future. Instruments will be varied and the music will be Ancient Greco-Roman inspired, some possible remixes and some Celtic works as well. Its looking like a lot of fun, isn't overly done (4 existing groups I can find and 2 professional societies dedicated to ancient music) and will put out a different flavor of music. More to come.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment