Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Korea

In other news, I am worried about Korea because we do have such a strong military presence there. I have interviewed veterans who were POWs to North Korea as well as have 2 relatives with permanent shrapnel from the Korean War. I will scan and share those interviews at a later time, some are from my high school paper, and some are from free lance work, some of which has been published and some I chose to not share due to the graphic nature of what was said. Basically, I am worried for those civilians, expats and US military over there. I pray Obama can help them resolve this as I don't truly believe that they want to wage war. Its been quite a few years of them sitting at a border making glowing remarks at each other.



The bare bone facts according to http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101123/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_clash (click for full article) with quotations provided to give a simple outline:
"The skirmish began when Pyongyang warned the South to halt military drills in the area, according to South Korean officials. When Seoul refused and began firing artillery into disputed waters, albeit away from the North Korean shore, the North retaliated by bombarding the small island of Yeonpyeong, which houses South Korean military installations and a small civilian population."
"The entire skirmish lasted about an hour. Each side has threatened the other against another attack."

No comments:

Post a Comment